Wednesday, September 11, 2013

You Want to Read Your Blog

So why do people blog?  What makes anyone think anyone would ever want to read something that you've written?  If our kids followed the logic of adults, then we would never get an assignment of any quality turned in.  We have kids write to practice mechanics, but also to reflect, reason, and reach conclusions.  Is there a magic age when we no longer need to practice these skills?

I discovered one more reason to blog today.  I found one more person who really enjoyed reading my writing - me.  I wrote an article on 9/11 a few years ago, and read it again today.  I was moved to read my own descriptions and feelings which I don't even recall a few years later.  I learned lessons I had at some point forgotten.

I have never seen my father write anything longer than his name, yet the one regret he has expressed to me about his life is, "I wish I had written something down every day.  I just can't remember the details of those moments that were small at the time, but I really want to remember now.

When you consider whether it is worth taking the time to write a blog, and you feel embarrassed to share details that you feel others could care less about, remember that there is always one reader who will be interested and find it of value. (No, not me - you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment